Much like The Mole, I wanted a detailed diagram of this drum light’s board layout before I started soldering (I still consider myself a newb, and a schematic alone wasn’t going to be enough for me. So much like The Mole, I started laying things out in Visio.
My original intention was to use the other board that came in the package for The Mole (it came as two 1 3/4″x1 3/4″ boards with a perforation in the middle), but I couldn’t get everything to fit on the board without having some janky in-line components. Being an impatient guy and not wanting to wait for an on-line PCB order to arrive, I ran up to Rat Shack and bought a slightly larger board measuring 1 7/8″x2 7/8″ (Part No. 276-150). It had plenty of buses for me to run the project on, the only unfortunate thing is that I still only needed half of this board. Luckily it’s still small enough to fit in a lot of smaller enclosures.
So I had a layout made, it was now time to get soldering.
I spent about 3 hours meticulously soldering part after part onto the PCB, stopping a few times to clean up solder messes I had made. When it was done, I hooked up power, hooked up the trigger, switched the power on…
And there was nothing.
I started pouring over every solder point, making sure all components were soldered in nice and good and that my solder sloppiness didn’t create a short. Everything looked good. Swapped out 1/4″ cable on the trigger. Nothing. Checked the battery and there was plenty of juice. Started looking at parts again, and had a “DUH” moment. I forgot to put the 555 IC into the socket I had soldered into the board. Put the chip in, and what do you know, it worked!
Since I wanted at least a temporary housing for this, when I was at Rat Shack I also picked up a plastic enclosure. I drilled up some holes and put it in the box.
Here’s another test of the Light, this time with a rundown of controls.
Next step will be getting this mounted to the drum.