Earlier this week I received my shipment from Arcade Overlays. The CPO from Arcade Overlays is better (and thicker) than I had expected, but that’s a good thing. I would highly recommend them for anyone building or refurbishing an arcade machine.
Since I had the overlay and was waiting on controls, I figured I’d start working on a mockup of the control panel. My plan is to install the controls into a mockup, making sure everything fits right and is ergonomically pleasing. Assuming that works, I could then use the mockup as a template for the real thing.
I went to the local hardware store and bought a 2×4 sheet of 3/4″ plywood (sanded, the nice stuff) and a 2×4 sheet of 1/4″ particle board. Together with a set of new jigsaw blades, I spent less than $15.
I took the overlay, laid it flat on the particle board, and traced the outline. I then brought it outside and used the jigsaw to cut the outline. It turned out pretty well aside from the one part I had to freehand (since I forgot to lay a straight edge down for it, but I figure it’s a template and not a big deal.
Now I’m just waiting on my order from Bob Roberts, and once they arrive my next task will be drilling out holes for the controls.